Public services and infrastructure have deteriorated as government has increasingly shifted the tax burden from corporations to workers. Our long-range goal is a socialist society without conventional taxes, with public services to be funded from the proceeds of social production. We demand:
- Repeal Proposition 13. Tax property for profit, not property for personal use. Remove property taxes on modest owner-occupied homes.
- Repeal the sales tax.
- Include aggregate of real property and stocks, bonds, etc. in a steeply-graduated property tax.
- Restore the renters’ tax credit.
- Double registration fees on luxury vehicles.
- Tax unearned income at a higher rate than earned income.
- Eliminate or reverse income tax on low- and moderate-income families.
- Re-enact California’s unitary tax on multi-national corporations.
- Tax the business activities of churches on the same basis as other organizations.
- Take the cap off social security taxes, make the rates progressive so burden falls on the wealthy.