Sep

we will meditate tomorrow to change our dna and our rna:

Monsanto fail: GMO crops are losing their pest control powers

by Sarah Laskow
29 Aug 2011 11:39 AM

Monsanto crops bred to thwart western corn rootworms, which love eating corn roots, are no longer are doing their job. The rootworms developed a resistance to the natural pesticide the crops produced and are chowing down.

The alternatives for farmers: buy other genetically modified seeds (which will totally work forever!); spray nastier insecticides; abandon the economic model of monoculture and GMO crops. Guess which one’s going to happen. Maybe which two out of three.

Scientists are already working on a new way to make buggies regret they ever thought for a second about eating corn: it’s called RNA interference, and it builds genetic code into plants that turns off essential genes of any bugs that eat it. At least, we hope it only applies to bugs.

Comments

1. Hi Rosie – glad to find your site.
    Sorta weird: I rarely watch tv (other than hockey games) but I caught an episode of NUTS the other day, then I picked you up on Max Keiser – must be some sort of cosmic plan – ya think?
    I don’t have much to say other than I really appreciated your announcement speech. There’s a lot of good, old-fashioned common sense in there. As an awakened boomer (I’m 62) I get really disheartened by the depth of apathy that I see all around me. As a Canadian, it breaks my heart to see the level of corruption in Washington. Being awakened, I know it also exists in Ottawa, but it’s a lot more subtle.
    I thank you for your courage and your insight and your honesty. I guarantee we will not always agree – but I trust you – and trust has become a rare and valuable thing.
    Talk later….Darrell

2. historynmaking says:

Hi…Yep…

3. Wow, two incredibly adorable kids… I should have known, child labor laws and all.

what were the twin boys names? and do you still keep in touch with them?

5. yes i really was pregnant, but the jerry character was played by twin boys

6. I think she’s referring to Buck, Roseanne. Wasn’t the Jerry character on your sitcom introduced because of your real life pregnancy and the birth of Buck? Some people (including me) thought that darling baby on the show was your real baby.

7. i don’t have a son named Jerry-that was on my sitcom.

8. Roseanne,
    I was wondering, what is your other son Jerry up to? Is he going to be on your new show?
    Sue

9. AbstractPainter says:

“Welcome to the new reality. Executive agencies in the United States have extraordinary unchecked power. They can seize your assets, freeze your bank accounts, intercept your emails, comb through your credit card transactions, and even take away your children… all without so much as a court order or any form of oversight. We’ve explored before how you can end up on the wrong side of a government agency, even if you haven’t done anything illegal. If you are so much as suspected of wrongdoing, they can come after you… even if you’re just in the wrong place at the wrong time, they can come after you. These are two cases where the government has come after its citizens– even when they are doing the RIGHT thing. Think about it: two of the most unlikely people in the country have become enemies of the state: an eleven-year-old girl who wants to save a baby bird, and a manufacturing company that has managed to stay in business (and continue hiring!) in the midst of the worst recession in the nation’s history. This is why we internationalize. This is why we have a plan.”
    read more at:

10. noteasilyoffended says:

There’s an interesting discussion about Monsanto in the movie, “Food,Inc.”. That is one whack company.

11. Just one thing
    before I post this article by truth dig that can be found here…http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/20090810_nader_was_right_liberals_are_going_nowhere_with_obama/
    I left my democratic status and became a green, so to vote for Cynthia McKinney, who was in my opinion, sabotaged by the Green Party itself. The Greens did nothing to help her, and in fact in some states, rallies were held for Nader, instead. These things cemented my convictions about our nation’s fraudulent and gravely flawed voting system.
    Chris Hedges’ Columns
    Nader Was Right: Liberals Are Going Nowhere With Obama
    The American empire has not altered under Barack Obama. It kills as brutally and indiscriminately in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan as it did under George W. Bush. It steals from the U.S. treasury to enrich the corporate elite as rapaciously. It will not give us universal health care, abolish the Bush secrecy laws, end torture or “extraordinary rendition,” restore habeas corpus or halt the warrantless wiretapping and monitoring of citizens. It will not push through significant environmental reform, regulate Wall Street or end our relationship with private contractors that provide mercenary armies to fight our imperial wars and produce useless and costly weapons systems.
    The sad reality is that all the well-meaning groups and individuals who challenge our permanent war economy and the doctrine of pre-emptive war, who care about sustainable energy, fight for civil liberties and want corporate malfeasance to end, were once again suckered by the Democratic Party. They were had. It is not a new story. The Democrats have been doing this to us since Bill Clinton. It is the same old merry-go-round, only with Obama branding. And if we have not learned by now that the system is broken, that as citizens we do not matter to our political elite, that we live in a corporate state where our welfare and our interests are irrelevant, we are in serious trouble. Our last hope is to step outside of the two-party system and build movements that defy the Democrats and the Republicans. If we fail to do this, we will continue to undergo a corporate coup d’etat in slow motion that will end in feudalism.
    We owe Ralph Nader, Cynthia McKinney and the Green Party an apology. They were right. If a few million of us had had the temerity to stand behind our ideals rather than our illusions and the empty slogans peddled by the Obama campaign, we would have a platform. We forgot that social reform never comes from accommodating the power structure but from frightening it. The Liberty Party, which fought slavery, the suffragists who battled for women’s rights, the labor movement, and the civil rights movement knew that the question was not how do we get good people to rule—those attracted to power tend to be venal mediocrities—but how do we limit the damage the powerful do to us. These mass movements were the engines for social reform, the correctives to our democracy and the true protectors of the rights of citizens. We have surrendered this power. It is vital to reclaim it. Where is the foreclosure movement? Where is the robust universal health care or anti-war movement? Where is the militant movement for sustainable energy?
    “Something is broken,” Nader said when I reached him at his family home in Connecticut. “We are not at the Bangladesh level in terms of passivity, but we are getting there. No one sees anything changing. There is no new political party to give people a choice. The progressive forces have no hammer. When they abandoned our campaign, they told the Democrats we have nowhere to go and will take whatever you give us. The Democrats are under no heat in the electoral arena from the left.
    “There comes a point when the public imbibes the ultimatum of the plutocracy,” Nader said when asked about public apathy. “They have bought into the belief that if it protests, it will be brutalized by the police. If they have Muslim names, they will be subjected to Patriot Act treatment. This has scared the hell out of the underclass. They will be called terrorists.
    “This is the third television generation,” Nader said. “They have grown up watching screens. They have not gone to rallies. Those are history now. They hear their parents and grandparents talk about marches and rallies. They have little toys and gizmos that they hold in their hands. They have no idea of any public protest or activity. It is a tapestry of passivity.
    “They have been broken,” Nader said of the working class. “How many times have their employers threatened them with going abroad? How many times have they threatened the workers with outsourcing? The polls on job insecurity are record-high by those who have employment. And the liberal intelligentsia have failed them. They [the intellectuals] have bought into carping and making lecture fees as the senior fellow at the institute of so-and-so. Look at the top 50 intelligentsia—not one of them supported our campaign, not one of them has urged for street action and marches.”
    Our task is to build movements that can act as a counterweight to the corporate rape of America. We must opt out of the mainstream. We must articulate and stand behind a viable and uncompromising socialism, one that is firmly and unequivocally on the side of working men and women. We must give up the self-delusion that we can influence the power elite from the inside. We must become as militant as those who are seeking our enslavement. If we remain passive as we undergo the largest transference of wealth upward in American history, our open society will die. The working class is being plunged into desperation that will soon rival the misery endured by the working class in China and India. And the Democratic Party, including Obama, is a willing accomplice.
    (Page 2)
    “Obama is squandering his positive response around the world,” Nader said. “In terms of foreign and military policy, it is a distinct continuity with Bush. Iraq, Afghanistan, the militarization of foreign policy, the continued expansion of the Pentagon budget and pursuing more globalized trade agreements are the same.”
    This is an assessment that neoconservatives now gleefully share. Eliot A. Cohen, writing in The Wall Street Journal, made the same pronouncement.
    “Mostly, though, the underlying structure of the policy remains the same,” Cohen wrote in an Aug. 2 opinion piece titled “What’s Different About the Obama Foreign Policy.” “Nor should this surprise us: The United States has interests dictated by its physical location, its economy, its alliances, and above all, its values. Naive realists, a large tribe, fail to understand that ideals will inevitably guide American foreign policy, even if they do not always determine it. Moreover, because the Obama foreign and defense policy senior team consists of centrist experts from the Democratic Party, it is unlikely to make radically different judgments about the world, and about American interests in it, than its predecessors.”
    Nader said that Obama should gradually steer the country away from imperial and corporate tyranny.
    “You don’t just put out policy statements of congeniality, but statements of gradual redirection,” Nader said. “You incorporate in that statement not just demilitarization, not just ascension of smart diplomacy, but the enlargement of the U.S. as a humanitarian superpower, and cut out these Soviet-era weapons systems and start rapid response for disaster like earthquakes and tsunamis. You expand infectious disease programs, which the U.N. Developmental Commission says can be done for $50 billion a year in Third World countries on nutrition, minimal health care and minimal shelter.”
    Obama has expanded the assistance to our class of Wall Street extortionists through subsidies, loan guarantees and backup declarations to banks such as Citigroup. His stimulus package does not address the crisis in our public works infrastructure; instead it doles out funds to Medicaid and unemployment compensation. There will be no huge public works program to remodel the country. The president refuses to acknowledge the obvious—we can no longer afford our empire.
    “Obama could raise a call to come home, America, from the military budget abroad,” Nader suggested. “He could create a new constituency that does not exist because everything is so fragmented, scattered, haphazard and slapdash with the stimulus. He could get the local labor unions, the local Chambers of Commerce and the mayors to say the more we cut the military budget, the more you get in terms of public works.”
    “They [administration leaders] don’t see the distinction between public power and corporate power,” Nader said. “This is their time in history to reassert public values represented by workers, consumers, taxpayers and communities. They are creating a jobless recovery, the worst of the worst, with the clear specter of inflation on the horizon. We are heading for deep water.”
    The massive borrowing acts as an anesthetic. It prevents us from facing the new limitations we must learn to cope with domestically and abroad. It allows us to live in the illusion that we are not in a state of irrevocable crisis, that our decline is not real and that catastrophe has been averted. But running up the national debt can work only so long.
    “No one can predict the future,” Nader added hopefully. “No one knows the variables. No one predicted the move on tobacco. No one predicted gay rights. No one predicted the Berkeley student rebellion. The students were supine. You never know what will light the fire. You have to keep the pressure on. I know only one thing for sure: The whole liberal-progressive constituency is going nowhere.”

12. Mono-cropping needs to stop! We would not need to introduce new species, or use pesticides if we encouraged CORRECT farming/gardening techniques. Which include a variation of crops rather than planting ONE crop to feed high yields of people. STOP OVER POPULATION! But, that is just a Conservation Biologists opinion.

13. AbstractPainter says:

“Here is the interesting thing: if you look at the “black budget” world or Richard Dolan’s term “the breakaway civilization“[v] – the “breakaway civilization“ has murdered, assassinated, poisoned, and killed thousands and thousands if not million of people in the United States over my lifetime, Lars. If you just look at the people killed in narcotics trafficking, drug running, gun running, or some of the different nuclear experiments or different kind of poisonings, which is much more common than usually people think – if you look at all those people that have been murdered by this network it’s not new news that they are running around and murdering ordinary Americans who are perfectly innocent and have no idea that this stuff goes on.”
    “9/11 was the first time that this kind of violence became overt. Basically, we killed 3000 plus middle and upper-middle class office workers and did it in broad daylight. I think a lot of people in America assumed that they were protected – so this kind of thing happened to black people, this kind of thing happened to poor people, this kind of thing happened to people who didn’t play ball, but there was always the feeling: If I’m white and play ball, then it won’t happen to me. And this was sort of the new news from the breakaway civilization: If it is convenient for us it will happen to you.”
    -Quote, interview with Catherine Austin Fitts, Assistant Secretary to HUD under Bush I
    read more at:

14. I’m sorry but I left the wrong link above. Here’s the correct one, Buddha’s Brain: Neuroplasticity and Meditation, http://psyphz.psych.wisc.edu/web/pubs/2008/buddha_brain_IEEE.pdf

15. I can’t speak to issues around RNA and DNA and assume Roseanne’s more advanced metaphysical expertise in this area. However, I have studied neuropsychology at the doctoral level and I wanted to add that, due to neuroplasticity, life experiences alter the physiology of the brain and brain functioning, impacting cognition and behavior. (So, you are also changing your brain!)

16. that is sweet.

17. Registerd Nurses Aids.

18. Registerd Nurses Aids.

19. I would just like to tell you i think you are fantastic and you are just as good now as you were then i no you here this kind of sh**t everyday to put it in your words lol you are a great heart and it is a honor to still see you doing what you do best shocking everyone around you love you roseanne never change

20. Chai Roseanne!
    I REALLY need this – this week! I got word that a lab test came back bad so they’re doing three more and it will say whether or not I have Multiple Myeloma Cancer, chas v’shalom.
    It’s like Leukemia but it effects the proteins in the plasma and breaks down bone.
    Even if the tests come back ‘ok’ and that’s not the reason the only OTHER reason is from chemicals I was exposed to and need OUT of my system to survive.
    You know things are messed up when your nurse calls all upset and then cries and hugs you a lot at your appointment.
    Trying not to be scared… I already know if it IS cancer I can’t do the treatment because of the exposure I couldn’t tolerate medicinal chemicals like chemotherapy etc and can’t yet afford the in-house treatment they do naturally at the Jewish health clinic, so I’m also praying for a way to work it off or something like that.
    Thanks again for making that the topic this week!
    S Chaya bat K Josefina

21. i need help my daughter is turning 17 on the 27th and all she talks about roseanne. She is an honor student and is an all around great kid. I would like roseanne to txt call or email her on her bday. I know im sure she gets this alot and im sorry but my daughter is worth the request.

22. Monsanto also forces farmers to buy new seeds every year. Their employees – investigators and professional stalkers – go through the co-op sales lists and compare crops in the field to make sure no farmer is reusing seeds from the previous season. Thank the Supreme Court for letting Monsanto patent pollen!
    If Monsanto catches anyone growing their weed-killer resistant soybeans from culled seeds, they get slapped with lawsuit after lawsuit. This company is determined to control the environment and I believe they’re incredibly destructive. I woke up excited today because I am learning to meditate and this issue has been on my mind more, as I learn about gardening and growing food. I am totally down with this.

23. SmartHealthTalk says:

Roseanne you have become my hero! You are all about two of my favorite things which are laughing and trying to be funny, and going after the people that are screwing around with our food.
    Thought you might get a kick out of the fact when I was a dietitian working at San Bernardino County Public Health Nutrition Department I called the National Kosher certification headquarters and asked them if GMOs (genetically modified organisms which in itself sounds creepy) were Kosher.
    Their response was that if man could create it, and God created man, then it is Kosher. I am not Jewish, but gained respect for cultural practices when I had my Fruit and Veggie Stand in San Diego across the street for a Kosher butcher 30 years ago. That was when I first learned about all of the pesticides and GMOs that were being secretly filtered into our food system. It really fired me up. Maybe it was because I believe food can heal, or because I am part American Indian and my grandparents were poor farmers who always had a garden when I was growing up and canned, etc. I know what good food tastes like!
    Went back to school at 35 y/o alone with two small children on welfare. Stayed full time for almost nine years to become a dietitian and get a Masters in Public Health Promotion and Education. It was clear to me just how little people knew about healthy eating and educating would be a hard job. You would need the media to reach the masses so that became my specialty.
    After fighting to get healthy foods in school with SB PH Dept. for five years only to find manufacturers didn’t make any healthy food for schools that I would feed my kids, joined the current love of my life to fight getting organic cereal, granola, energy, and rice crispy bars, and even organic toaster pastries with Nature’s Path Organic Foods into schools, hospitals, hotels, universities, airports, and so on. Hard to do when up against mega giant food companies making huge profit margins against our organic ingredients.
    Taking lessons learned to the people with a new radio show that will be in your current time slot on KCAA Radio 1050 am in Loma Linda which is 4-5pm because you are moving to Sunday. Excited and scared of failure all at the same time.
    Please check out our website at http://www.smarthealthtalk.com/index.html
    Going to have a segment of the show where theoretically a celebrity (still wondering if I know any) will describe themselves as a food by outlining their nutritional attributes. Thought it would be great if on our first show Sept. 8th (Ack! Days away) that you could be our first food, macadamia nuts.
    Even though we are small, all episodes live on as podcasts on our website.
    Since we have no budget yet. So that might be a problem.
    Hope you get this because I didn’t know how else to get ahold of you.
    After fighting the fight all these years, would never had thought it would be a comedian that would be the voice to help wake people up to listen. You have probably got more people interested since you started your reality show then all the scientists and advocates for the past 10 years. You’re awesome, and have renewed my spirit. I am now ready to educate another day. Thank you, Elaine

24. Shabbat Shalom Rosie

25. France remains a hold out on genetically modified foods. They are banned and France gets much heat for it. French peeps are obsessed with the purity and quality of their foods. They pamper their livestock. It makes the meat taste better and the animals get a shot at a quality (if short) life. No wonder they have the best food in the galaxy.
    Viva La France.

26. I said this once before but you know us old folks repeat repeat and repeat. Each time they insert a gene into the genetic sequence,while intended to eliminate a defect, they create a new defect that comes down the tube sometimes sooner, sometimes way later. Hope they “get it” sooner rather than later.

27. I’m absolutely agree, although I think divine intervention’s always above us …. we would not have reason to exist …. God allows us free will, but only up to a certain point, I think. Then somehow we are part of a project that sooner or later there will be announced.

28. I guess it’s a balance between controlled evolution and letting it happen.

29. botanical booty says:

I never thought I’d see the day when the USDA would encourage ‘ORGANIC Farming’. But slowly they are getting the heart beat of Americans. Keep telling it how it is Roseanne. We can beat Monsanto in our shopping local, eating organic, demanding better products, buying American Made and in showing that eating raw and more vegetarian meals that we can heal America.
    I grew Chestnuts in Michigan. My mantra was,”I am growing more nuts everyday”. You are our spokeswoman for sensible thinking. Thank you for being the visible force of common sense.

30. Yes ! More truth.
    These corn rootworms are masters of evolution.
    It would make Charles Darwin proud.
    They are about the worst tasting worm in the world to their potential prey and if a bird does decide to try to eat one …….they are as sticky as super-glue and seal the birds mouth closed.
    Monsanto sucks bigtime.