Mar

Today I was so happy to be able to locate and take custody

of my grandmother’s sewing machine, which I have looked for, for nearly sixteen years.  My ex-husband, Tom Arnold sold it to someone when he sold his house and everything in it to the new buyer.  He told the new buyer that it was my grandmother’s and that he was selling it with the rest of the house.  For years I heard that someone had it, and I attempted to meet and talk to the man, which was really difficult to do.  He kept telling people that he was going to give it back to me (it was stolen from me by Tom Arnold), but never got around to it.  The lawyer I am using to defend myself against my third husband, Ben Thomas, knew the guy and talked him into returning it to me.  He took five hundred dollars for it, after sixteen years.  There are all kinds of lovely folks in LA, and they are very much part of the reason that I moved out of there.  Like Chuck Lorre, Tom has been able to hide his real self behind all of that AA crap. There are still many other things of my grandmother’s that Tom took away from me.  There is an antique refrigerator, a cupboard, a chair and a couch that I inherited from her when she died.  If anyone out there has bought any of it from Tom Arnold, please contact me here and I will buy it back from you.

Comments

1. I inhereted my grandmothers bible that her mom & Dad (my great grandparents) gave her in 1942-They even signed it to her in the front on that Christmas 1942. My grandmother kept it right beside her bed as long as I can remember…She even had jotted down little notes inside it that are still there. No amount of money would have meant more to me than this….it sits beside my bed.
    I hope you get the other family treasures that you deserve.

2. glad you got the sewing mac. back,sounds like a lot of sentimental value, which is good. now put it to use,lets see i need some socks,gloves,no dresses,curtains,and maybe a pair of shoes,oops scratch the last one.

I do not know if they sold it or not i am just asking if somebody got it money for it. If you did not then do not worry abount it, i just think they sold it.

Before my grandma died she got me a cher doll then after she died my dad,s side of the family took it and does not where they put it. I do not know if htey sold it or not so if anyone has a cher doll from ohio that hey got for money from somebody with the last name ward please let me know on here and i will buy it from you.

5. I have my great grandmothers cedar chest and it means the world to me. How someone can disreguard your attachment to family items is disturbing. What an ass!!! I hope you are able to find the other items soon.

6. …”Oh the bloodsucking parasites who have driven this once – proud nation to its knees! No more bailouts of the Whores of WallStreet! Time to relearn the cottage industry skills of our moms, grandmas, and great grandmas..We are going to need em after these bass-tards bomb us back into the proverbial stone age. ( Id settle for pre- industrial revolution, personally….bring back the horse- drawn carriage! And its close friend, The Bicycle!”
    LadyJane,
    Your words above are so TRUE, it IS going to come to this. In fact, we’re well on our way. I recognized early on in my life that we, the human race, have screwed ourselves with all of this technology. And then throw the greed of our govt & wal street in the mix & we’ve cooked up the perfect recipe for downfall!
    My brother & I are looking for a place with some land to begin farming to feed ourselves & others when TSHTF.
    I heard it said once that ‘we are going to HAVE to live the way we should have been living ALL ALONG’…I couldn’t have said it better myself!

7. SOO true. I would never make someone buy back something that was stolen from them.

8. O im sure Tom sleeps cuz just from the little bit i have seen of him he seems like an egomaniac and he isint shit and was less than shit before Roseanne.

9. How does Tom even sleep at night?

10. Ah, my grandmother’s sewing machine is one of my most prized possessions. I sewed dresses for my girls and Halloween costumes for all of my kids on that thing. It doesn’t work anymore, but I still have it.

Must be spending too much time in my hot tub time masheen! i am lookin a little “pruney” in the fingaz!

After my mom died, my father hoarded her stuff, as if it were the only spiritual repository of her. I basically had to give up on a lot of things that the “only daughter” was supposed to get…The bernina old school sewing machine,(her pride and joy) and her kitchenaide stand up mixer were two things she loved that i did manage to bring to the Big Island. I am so glad you got your grandmas machine back…. Hoping the other heirlooms find their way back to you! These simple house hold appliances were the tools of our moms and grandmas trades….Oh the cool things they used to make! Keeping their legacy of ” do it yourself” alive is the next step. Sewing your own clothing and cooking your own food are two of the more subversive acts you can engage in nowadaze! By Bartering these items, you can avoid touching our bloodsoaked national currency.. Bartering also removes the tax man from the equasion…. I am tired of paying for the assholes who run the shitstorm called The United States Government! Here is a clear situation of not getting out of something what you put into it! Oh the bloodsucking parasites who have driven this once – proud nation to its knees! No more bailouts of the Whores of WallStreet! Time to relearn the cottage industry skills of our moms, grandmas, and great grandmas..We are going to need em after these bass-tards bomb us back into the proverbial stone age. ( Id settle for pre- industrial revolution, personally….bring back the horse- drawn carriage! And its close friend, The Bicycle!

13. I understand the sense of loss you feel when someone takes things that have deep meaning to you. My ex took all the dolls that my dad had bought for me. My dad died when I was ten, so those dolls meant so much (aside from having monetary value). I was never able to get them back. I’m glad that you have been able to get back the sewing machine, and hope that the rest of your items get back into your hands. You shouldn’t have to buy them, but sometimes we do what we have to do, right??

14. DJ Tenn. nYc says:

Roseanne I know how you feel , many of us can relate to the need to preserve and pass on family heirlooms or even homes, land, etc. being sold out from under you , because of what they represent as objects , unique in themselves and not just an easy way to make 50 bucks..
    I am very happy for you got that machine back, what a happy ending, thank you for sharing this story.
    I have one photograph of my grandmother & I in my home in NY that was taken in my home in Florida in 1986 . my dads family has everything else of hers. EVERY.thing.
    So..I have to be at peace so I dont lose it completely and know what they cannot ever steal or ever withhold from me is the connection my gran & I have had ,many years now after her death , I still feel it daily and that goes on & on now and forever way past their bullshit hoard and collect & con-TROLL dramas .
    People are so sick and crazy.. lots of luck finding the rest of the heirlooms.

15. That must have been your Bubbe Fanny’s. So glad you got it back!
    I had a grandmother named Fanny, too.

16. candygirl66678 says:

damn roseanne, that succccks you have to buy back your own things. they should give them to you. i live in la, and don’t like the people here. theyre alot alot of two face people here. that breaks my heart how tom arnold treated you. im also going thru a fight with my ex boyfriend, he would physically and emotionally abuse me, and his mother wouldnt tell him nothing. now theyre fighting me and lying about me to get custody or visitation with my 9 month old son. i left him as soon as i gave birth. i was so worried about you during the tsunami warning! i kept checking your blogs to see if you said something to show ur alright…well take care, be strong, and never change.

17. nauseating article—the reason people are able to talk negatively against jews is because of Israel’s immoral and corrupt occupation of gaza and the war crimes they get away with.

18. Aloha Roseanne, Although, I’m a writer/activist, my day job is that of Dressmaker/tailor! I’m very curious what kind of machine this is? Is it electric or treddle? An old Singer? Old machines are the BEST!!!! I use a 20 year old Bernina 1030 and a 20 year old Pfaff 7550 (electronic). Electronic machines are fine with all their fancy stitches but the humidity wrecks their motherboards. I’ve managed to keep mine going, probably because I use it so much. But still, nothing like the old mechanical models made out of metal.
    I also have an old Singer treddle for when the TSHTF and Big Island gets cut off from civilization. However, treddles take a lot of practice to coordinate feet, hands and machine.
    If your machine needs tuning-up there are a few good repair people in Hilo but the best one for your machine would be Elton at Sewing Unlimited in the Mamo Mart. I use ALL the repair people in town and each one is good for specific machines. Elton is nice Japanese guy who likes the old mechanical machines. I recommend him above all the rest. Randy at Rang’s is good with Electronic Pfaffs, and anything else but is too busy with repairs. Harriett at Big Island Bernina is good with Bernina’s of course. Then there’s Mike on Manono Street who does Singer. He’s fast and reasonable, but not sure if he knows the old machines.
    You are very fortunate to get that machine back, even if it did cost some kala$. Best of luck getting the rest of the stuff back.

19. Why are so many public figures ranting against “the Jews”?
    By ALAN M. DERSHOWITZ
    03/10/2011 13:42
    John Galliano’s anti-Semitic slurs follow a succession of similar rants made by celebrities – often spouted in moments of megalomania or dipsomania. But when these opinions are supported by respected clergymen and politicians, we have to ask ourselves, “Why the Jews?”
    Recent headlines once again raise the age-old question, “why the Jews?” When celebrities are drunk, on drugs or just high on their own egos, they often engage in rants. These days, many such rants are captured on cell phone videos or audio tapes that go viral on the internet. Nothing surprising there. What might be surprising to some, however, is that the rant de jour these days seems to be directed against Jews.
    Consider the former Dior designer, John Galliano, who was sitting in a bar in a Jewish section of Paris and announcing his love for Hitler and smiling as he told the people at an adjoining table, who he apparently assumed to be Jewish, that “People like you would be dead. Your mothers, your forefathers, would all be f*****g gassed.”
    RELATED:
    Portman condemns Dior designer for anti-Semitic words
    Or consider Charlie Sheen who claims to be high on Charlie Sheen, attacking his producer by emphasizing the Jewish nature of his original name, Chaim Levine.
    Or Oliver Stone telling an interviewer last year that too much attention is paid to the Holocaust because of “Jewish domination of the media.” And that Hitler wasn’t all that terrible to the Jews.
    Then there is the Reverend Louis Farrakhan, ranting and raving about Satanic Jews controlling the world.
    This is not an entirely new phenomenon. Mel Gibson delivered a similar rant when he was stopped by Los Angeles police in 2006. “F*****g Jews…The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world.” Gibson then asked the deputy, “Are you a Jew?”
    Generally, sobriety results in apology, but the damage has been done.
    The question is why the Jews? There’s an old joke about a Nazi rally in Nuremberg where Hitler is screaming, “Who causes all of Germany’s problems?” An old man in the crowd shouts back, “the bicycle riders.” Hitler’s taken by surprise and asks, “why the bicycle riders?” To which the old man replies, “why the Jews?” That was in the 1930s. So “why the Jews” in the second decade of the 21st Century?
    Let me suggest two possible answers. The first is that little about the nature of prejudice has really changed, but the advent of the age of high technology has brought private prejudices into the public arena. In commenting on the Galliano outburst, Michael Goubert, a French DJ and music designer, observed that “virulent views like those expressed by [Galliano] are not rare.” But “the public expression” of intolerance is unusual and particularly troubling, according to patrons of the bar in which Galliano expressed his bigoted views. The pervasiveness of cell phone videos and the widespread use of the social media have blurred the line between private and public expression. What used to be only whispered to friends at a bar is now broadcast around the world.
    There is a second, a far more troubling answer to “Why the Jews?” Prominent public figures have blurred another line as well – the line between anti-Zionism and anti-Semitism, between attacking the Jewish state and attacking the Jewish people. Consider widely publicized remarks made by Bishop Desmond Tutu, winner of the Nobel Peace Prize and the American Model of Freedom, and a man openly admired and praised by President Obama. He has called the Jews “a peculiar people” and has accused “the Jews” of causing many of the world’s problems. He has railed against “the Jewish Lobby,” comparing its power to that of Hitler, Mussolini and Stalin.
    Tutu also said that “the Jews thought they had a monopoly of God: Jesus was angry that they could shut out other human beings.” He has said that Jews have been “fighting against” and being “opposed to” his God. He has “compared the features of the ancient Holy Temple in Jerusalem to the features of the apartheid system in South Africa.” He has complained that “the Jewish people with their traditions, religion and long history of persecution sometimes appear to have caused a refugee problem among others.” Tutu has minimized the suffering of those murdered in the Holocaust by asserting that “the gas chambers” made for “a neater death” than did Apartheid. He has complained of “the Jewish Monopoly of the Holocaust,” and has demanded that its victims must “forgive the Nazis for the Holocaust,” while refusing to forgive the “Jewish people” for “persecute[ing] others.”
    Tutu complained that Americans “are scared…to say wrong is wrong because the Jewish lobby is powerful – very powerful.” He has accused Jews – not Israelis – of exhibiting “an arrogance- the arrogance of power because Jews are a powerful lobby in this land and all kinds of people woo their support.”
    Tutu has acknowledged having been frequently accused of being anti-Semitic, to which he has offered two responses: “Tough luck;” and “my dentist’s name is Dr. Cohen.” Former President Jimmy Carter too has contributed to this new legitimization of Jew-bashing, by echoing Tutu’s derisive talk about the Jewish domination of America (“powerful political, economic and religious forces…that dominate our media”) and his use of the term “Apartheid” in his book about Israel.
    By thus blurring the line between legitimate political criticism and illegitimate bigotry, widely admired people like Tutu and Carter tend to legitimate the kind of anti-Semitic attitudes that manifest themselves in the rants of celebrities like Galliano, Sheen, Gibson and others.(Among other prominent people who have legitimated anti Semitism by blurring the line between legitimate criticism of Israeli policies and attacks against the Jewish people have been Helen Thomas, Patrick Buchanan, and former senator James Abourezk.)
    This blurring has also affected the tone on university campuses around the world, where Tutu and Carter are particularly admired and imitated. I speak on campuses throughout the world and I had never, until recently, heard and seen the kind of language now being directed against Jewish students and faculty who support Israel.
    So I was not as surprised as some by the recent celebrity rants. The oldest prejudice has never quite disappeared. It just went underground and has now resurfaced as a result of new technology and new legitimization by the likes of Bishop Tutu and Jimmy Carter.
    Fortunately there are intelligent and principled young celebrities like Natalie Portman who are trying to offset this development by speaking out against bigotry.
    The writer’s latest novel is The Trials of Zion

20. This is great news that you got her sewing machine back. We know how much you loved your grandmothers. If it’s still in working order and your ever find yourself craving a new hobby, consider mandala quilts!

21. Damn shame, when you have to buy back your own belongings.