Nov

My Speech:

Comments

1. RonKaplanNJ says:

Greetings, Roseanne:
    I listened to your interview with Leonard Lopate and was interested in your comments about your Jewish upbringing and the National Anthem incident. If your book tour brings you to New Jersey, I’d love to chat with you for an article for my newspaper. In the meantime, I’m looking forward to reading it.
    Shalom,
    Ron

2. also, this is the wrong thread for this info–stop posting on this and post on another one titled ask roseanne–thanks

3. i dont remember the poem so much, though i think i wrote it–but–i do remember sarah’s acting was very real and very touching in that ep.

4. My favorite episode was “the fifties show” which was a send up of television’s treatment of women–I oversaw each script and made sure it was what I wanted, and that each character was respected and stayed authentic to its feminist core. that’s about all i have time for kiddo. good luck!!!

5. Becky’s character was based on my oldest daughter, Jessica, and of course a little bit of all my kids and myself thrown in–Becky had real middle class aspirations, but fell for and married a “bad boy type” thus kind of ending her college career and all that dreamed about middle class luxury. Becky was kind of an angry girl who was passive aggressive and overly romantic, like lots of teenage girls are. She was also secretive and happy to be sexually active, which were all firsts for a female teenage character on TV.

6. Taylor Miller says:

Hey Roseanne – my second few questions I think got buried in the conversation, if you had a chance, I’d love to have you answer a couple follow-ups. Here they are (and thanks again for helping!):
    ——
    What would you say is your favorite episode of Roseanne? In your book, My Lives, you say that if someone were to name any particular episode, you’d be able to point out your contributions – any hope of doing that for the ones I listed? Maybe a comment about Darlene’s poem, To Whom it Concerns?
    I’d love to know what you thought of Becky’s character, as well.
    Also – I checked out Amazon for your new book, Roseannarchy – but it doesn’t come out until January – any hope of getting an advanced copy to review for this article? Any way I can contribute to your cause, and the scope of your work, would be an honor for me.
    Thanks again!
    - T

7. I agree. It all ties into that whole fasicm thing. Class warfare that u said was your calling to fight against.
    I also agree white women esp got screwd big time by the media.

8. the american media totally made all that “staying at home to be a housewife/mother is bad” bullshit–it had NOTHING to do with feminism.
    It was a white middle class women’s fake issue. Nobody but white middle classes (those with disposable incomes) ever stayed home to care for their kids or ever got the choice–everyone but a small percentage of (white, or upper class) women always worked in the job force AND raised kids. Middle class white women never understood that feminism is a radical analysis of socialism, which is an economic system.
    Middle class white america never understood socialism at all either, and still doesn’t. White people think they are on top because God wants it that way. It would never occur to most of them that military force is why they are on top, the opposite of God.

9. However some women think feminism did women a disservice. Like it made it a bad thing for women to stay home and be mothers.
    FOr women not to be subservant to men was a hard habit to break.
    Too bad a lot of women had to learn the hard way Thru deadbeat men who only used women for their own selfish needs!!

10. Thanks for giving GAy men and women credit for being feminists. CAuse I know its true.

11. Taylor Miller says:

Roseanne, thanks for getting back to me! You’ve given me some rich material to work with.
    I’d love to know what you thought of Becky’s character, as well.
    Thanks again!
    - T

Wow, thanks for answering taylors questions, and some of mine too. Darlene is tha shiznit. I liked her back in the day when the show was new, and even today shes the best! truly a wiseass in the best meaning possible. Your theory of subversion worked like a charm. The show continues to influence countless numbers of all kinds of people.

OVERJOYED! always w/ your words here Roseanne-thank-you R,and Thx to TM for your part in all you are doing for OUR TRUTH GODDESS!

14. it’s funny how many fine feminists are gay and male. You should really read Dr. Mary Daly if you want to learn more about feminism. She was my great friend and teacher, and I tried to help her at the end of her life and still do, but keeping her books alive. Beyond God the Father is her first brilliant work. She followed that book with many others which we like to discuss here.

15. you know so many of these things you ask me about are in my new book–and I really do hope your will read it. I feel it is my best work. Gay rights are important to me as I have a gay brother, Dr. Ben-David Barr, and a Lesbian sister. Both of them are parents, and my brother is a grandfather. Their lives really put their critic’s lives to shame, and I just want that known to the world. They are just brilliant and wonderful taxpaying citizens who have both been in long term relationships with the same people for over twenty years. Far longer than any of my own marriages lasted. Bullshit is bullshit and what they do to the gays now they will do to everyone else soon. I was inspired by Cher. I just love Cher and want to marry her too! I know Chaz and that is a righteous soul inside of him. I enjoy entertaining the gays on cruise ships where they pay me big money and supply nice crab legs as well.

16. Yes, Darlene is me. That was the exact way I was in high school, only I left out the insane amount of bullying I lived through, as a fat and dark girl child. When Darlene entered her dark period, I was really reliving the loneliness that creates a poet, or writer or artist. Darlene is the real hero of the show to me. She like her mother, Roseanne Connor continued to be writers.

17. here are a few answers , but first may I say thank you for understanding my work, you are right about all you have surmised. I came to television as an activist, and not as one who hungers for fame. I do appreciate the great amount of money that was paid to me for entertaining some very cool viewers and fans. As an activist, I realized in 1980 when Reagan was elected that the bullshit job on the masses had been swallowed like a big fat turd that smells like chocolate. I got the idea to imprint a generation of women through television itself (THE BEAST, as I call it). I thought it would be so fucking cool to use the BEAST for the betterment of the world, and not the way it is always used, as a method to tranquilize the minds of women and control them by telling them they need to change their physical beings, becoming the perfect Barbie who then can be forced into a burkha against her will. Patriarchy is always about Polygymy.
    The more wives and women a patriarch keeps in his harem, the more power he will have among other patriarchs.

18. Taylor Miller says:

Oh, perfect. I’m very honored!* Well, my paper is on the character of Darlene. And on Roseanne Conner’s (and your) relationship with the character. I want to illustrate how Darlene, Roseanne and Jackie demonstrated that women then (and even today) aren’t living in a post-feminist society. And by that I mean, this patriarchal idea that women have “arrived” and now no longer should they be fighting for those rights, that they can already do whatever they want to do (which I think, is a very classed idea). I think the show beautifully illustrated that a woman can be very powerful, as your character was, and still recognize the need for feminist activism. And I want people to understand how it’s still relevant.
    Questions – please feel free to pass any you don’t care about. I understand you are very, very busy, and I am grateful for any time you have to help me on this project:
    You say that you think class had a lot to do with your resistance on the show. Do you want to talk about that more? I know you wanted the show to push forward feminism, how was it important for you to make sure class was involved in that push?
    How much of you is in the character of Darlene? How much of you is in your character (and/or when did your character become what you wanted her to become?)
    How did you contribute to Darlene’s character? Was it important for you to represent two very different types of girls on the show (the Can-Do! girl and the At-Risk girl), and why or why not?
    Is there a moment with Darlene or a moment with Darlene’s character that you are most proud of the show for? A favorite moment?
    How does Darlene represent girlhood and feminism for you? Did you know the show airs in the “after-school” time slot on the CW. What do women and girls say to you when they approach you about the show?
    Are any shows on television today doing what you guys did for feminism? Any notes they should be taking, advice you’d like to give? Are you frustrated, or pleased with the direction TV is taking?
    What feminists have inspired you? And what do you think is the great fight in feminism today?
    In general, any favorite shows you’d like to talk about? Or least-favorite ones?
    —————
    Here are the episodes I’m thinking about writing about. If you have any comment on them, or if you made any collaborations on them, please let me know, or if you think I should be focusing on other episodes:
    “Brain-dead Poet’s Society”: Darlene recites the poem “To Whom it Concerns” “…too short to be quarterback, too plain to be queen…”
    “Nightmare on Oak Street”: Darlene gets her first period
    “Like a Virgin”: Darlene is caught making out with a boy before Dan and Roseanne have even had “the talk” with Becky
    “The Little Sister”: The nature of Darlene and Becky’s relationship is parroted in Roseanne and Jackie’s, when Jackie decides to become a police officer
    “Valentine’s Day”: The boy Darlene is interested in, is interested in Becky.
    Also, if I forward you some questions, any hope of sending them onto Sara?
    ——
    I am actually a gay man, and I am so originally inspired by the show because it seemed to really push the issues of gay rights. I was young when it aired, and coming from an un-accepting small town, it was priceless for me to have characters on a show I could relate with (while my other family members watched for other reasons). It, along with Xena, literally changed my life (so you can imagine how elated I was when you showed up in costume on one episode!) You were quite literally, my “It Gets Better” video.
    I do this work, because as a gay man from a classed, small-town much like Landford, I realize how valuable it is for television to continue to do the kinds of things Roseanne did for people who aren’t around liberal and open-minded thoughts, like those in the city. I include this caveat as a personal thank-you from the bottom of a very big heart.
    Much of my work is in setting up discourse on gay icons in academia. Roseanne (you) and Roseanne the TV show are very iconic in the gay community, as I was so blessed having a very strong and powerful role model I could look up to when everything in my life was in the the shitter. If you have additional time, I would love to hear how you would respond to being called a gay icon – someone whose strength through adversity and the legacy of her career has endured, which in my work I totally distinguish between pop-culture-icons-and-teeney-boppers-of-the-moment.
    Why was it so important for you to include LGBTQ content in the show, and do you know how many lives you’ve touched?
    Thank-you again so much for helping me with this paper, Roseanne. This is a true honor.

19. what is this for? by the way, there have been more women doing their theses on me and my show than you could imagine. I will answer your questions here-go ahead. My thought is that class, more than gender was a factor in the behind the scenes resistance I went through.

20. Taylor Miller says:

Patriarchal Women – yes! Roseanne, please respond to my comment on your most recent blog post. I’d love to send you some questions about that – and use a quote from a past pearl-of-a-person in your life who might just be a patriarchal woman!!!

21. HOW SWEET! thanks so much for thinking of me and caring about me too!

i went to a private dinner at friends house Sat. it was beautiful-we spoke all about ROSEANNEARCHY,and T performed a most splendid poetic prayer of Roseanne before we ate. and we also stopped in to visit some very creative artists,who were already quite informed about all Roseanne is doing for Us.it was a great day!

23. well said! Thank you for speaking up for us. Why don’t we have more people standing up and taking the time to do the right things as well. Why are we not gathering in masses to get more media coverage and truth to the people. Instead, we are attacked daily by those who control the media machines who help keep these assholes (male and female) and corporations in power by lying to the public and poisoning the already overwhelmed and polluted brains/souls of humanity. If I can ever do anything to help you get a message out, please do not hesitate to ask. I will help you help the people who need it!

24. Hi, Roseanne!
    I’d love to send you one of these if you’d like one:
    2L4O: Too Liberal for Obama shirt

you explain with out exception-pure perfection-please don’t be modest about a real true fact as only you can say. you being The Leader of Our Church,now!

26. right! it’s cooperation not competition…(female)

27. mjj: actually, it is patriarchal women who are the most “guilty gender”—men can’t really make too much happen at all–women do. women who seek to punish other women and their children are the real problem within patriarchal cultures. wrong again, brother!

28. i *have* seen this before! .. Bravo, btw.
    .. course, being of the guilty gender, i ought to say, the problem isn’t the gender itself, it’s power and control given to that gender that isn’t appropriate for that gender. .. or i should say, the typical character type for that gender.
    I think a significant part of the problem goes to the Darwinian idea of evolution and that competition is the essence of evolution. (Which we know is wrong, of course, from thermodynamics 8-) This leads to encouragement of sessions of out-machismoing each other in problem solving – ie. catasrophic decisions making.